Frozen Strawberry Crunch Cake

We had company
 over this week and I knew I wanted to make something fresh and light.  The weather has been amazing with this sudden heat wave.  It feels like summer!  I decided to try a new recipe from www.tablespoon.com.  It's called Frozen Strawberry Crunch Cake.  I had most of the ingredients because I had just done a big grocery shop and I didn't want something super processed. 

FROZEN STRAWBERRY CRUNCH CAKE 
INGREDIENTS
box Nature Valley Granola Bars
1/3 
cup brown sugar
1/2 
cup flour
tablespoons melted butter
egg whites
1/2 
cup sugar
cup heavy whipping cream
lemon
ounces cream cheese
1 1/2 
cups freshly chopped strawberries
DIRECTIONS
1. Put the Nature Valley granola bars in a food processor (I used my Ninja and it worked great) and process until you achieve a course crumb.
2. In a large bowl, add the crumbs, brown sugar, flour and melted butter and mix together. Then spread into an 8x8-inch pan that has been covered with parchment paper. Bake at 350ºF for 20 minutes. Let cool. Then divide in half and set aside.
3. In a mixing bowl, combine eggs whites and sugar and mix on high. Add the heavy cream and continue mixing for another 5 minutes.
4.  Continue to add the fresh squeezed lemon juice and softened cream cheese. Mix on low speed until incorporated.
5.  Fold the fresh strawberries into the cream mixture.
6.  In a buttered glass cake pan, press half of the crumb crust mixture on the bottom. Top with strawberry mix and then add the remaining crumbs to the top.
7.  Cover and freeze for three hours or more and enjoy!

I thought it was a good mix of sweet and tart.  Everyone seemed to enjoy it.  The crumble on the top and bottom was very good and a nice change to just your typical base.  I had never used granola bars in a dessert like that before.  Next time I would probably use the whole package of cream cream instead of half since it wasn't super sweet.  




No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blogging tips